Writing a Literature Review
A literature review refers to a critical evaluation of literature (a book, article or other sources) of a specific topic. Actually, when writing a review, you assess a particular book or article. A literature review should comprise of the following parts (that are frequently written as separate paragraphs):
- A summary of the source;
After looking at a literature essay example, you will easily identify these constituents. Literature reviews can be a separate type of academic writing (especially at undergraduate level) or could be incorporated into a research paper, research report, thesis or article, especially at postgraduate level.
As a rule, a literature review is written like any other literature essay sample and comprises of an introduction, main body, and conclusion. Do not confuse this kind of writing with an annotated bibliography, which is merely a summary of each of the sources.
Frequently, people pose a question, “Why do we need to write literature reviews?” Actually, this paper is aimed to demonstrate your in-depth understanding of a specific source on a given topic. Actually, writing a literature review involves your analytic skills and the ability to synthesize information.
How to Write a Literature Essay?
- Work out the focus of your paper and the purpose of writing. Which aspect should be central in the review? Make sure your review corresponds to the requirements criteria.
- Provide a thorough research of literature. Examine different views on the topic. Make sure you use appropriate sources that should be credible and current. The books, articles or web sources should be relevant to the topic of the review. Please see literature essay Examples on how the sources you select should be suitable to the topic.
- If you are hesitating how many resources you should search for, one of the best literature essay writing tips you could get is - the number depends on the purpose of the literature review as such and on what degree you are obtaining. For example, if you are studying on a PhD program, then the review should be extensive. Find a literature essay example depending on how advanced you are in your studies.
- Jot down bibliographical information and details regarding each source. In order not to lose track of the sources you have consulted, write the authors’ names, briefly note the title, the year of publication, publishers, etc. This is a timesaving technique when writing a literature essay.
- Critically read the selected sources trying to search for arguments the authors are making instead of just summarizing facts and general information. Check out the available essay writing examples to know what kind of information to present in the paper.
- After you have chosen the sources, you will write a review on, analyze and evaluate the literature. Pay attention to the main concepts and terms, the relevance of the source to a specific topic, the credibility of the sources, differences and similarities between them, the way the authors have structured the information and arguments in each of the sources, etc.
- Start writing the review. As in different Types of essays, the structure of the review is similar: you should have an introduction, a strong thesis statement (comprising of the argument you make and the overall perspective of your work depending on the essay topics), main body, and conclusion.
How to Structure a Literature Review?
- As in any essay sample, you should start with an introductory paragraph. Here you should briefly provide information on the purpose of writing a review, the importance of the discussed topic, and the scope of the paper. Moreover, you should identify the criteria according to which you selected sources and shortly narrate on the organization of the example essay review.
- Organize the body paragraphs according to the subtopics discussed in the review. See the examples of college essays and get more familiar with the principles of paragraph organization.
- Provide a conclusion briefly summarizing the key points under discussion. Do not introduce any new information as in college essay samples.
- Ask yourself questions whether you have provided all the required information according to the assignment prompt.
Buy custom Literature essay
Analysis of White Noise essay
White Noise is a novel by Don Delillo, places Jack Gladney, who apparently is the Hitler studies’ chairman on the College-on-the-Hill, to be a narrator and also the protagonist. Seemingly, Jack happened to have 5 marriages and had 4 ex-wives, while presently he was living with his fifth ...Details
Creative Writing essay
The place of the action is a small town Crowley in Louisiana. The time of the action is the early 50s. Crowley is to the marrow a country town and entirely corresponds to its name: the life here is quiet, and the people are not concerned about many things. People jokingly call Crowley “The ...Details
Culture War by Morris Fiorina essay
Introduction The idea behind the culture war in America is familiar to many people since it has been a central point of discussion recently. The comparisons and distinctions between the Americans time circumstances and those experienced in German in the last decades has brought the idea of culture ...Details
Feminism in A Mid Summer Nights Dream essay
Feminism is a women movement that is associated with particular issues of the past when a federation of women managed to bring issues concerning gender impartiality, sex discrimination and sex oppression into the limelight. Simply put, feminism is perpetually engaged in resistance to existing ...Details
Free Will or Fate essay
Sophocles wrote a trilogy of Oedipus – “Antigone,” “Oedipus the King,” “Oedipus in Delphes” – that went down in the world history and became the vivid samples of Ancient Greek works of art. What are the most common opinions about this hero? Oedipus is ...Details
1.J. Michael Martinez's "Heredities" J Michael Matiniez’s Heredities is a complementary work which encompasses ground-breaking energy and lyrical intensity. It expresses sympathy and pays honor to the previous politics about Chicano poetries. Hereditaries call for attention on the ...Details
Human Freedom essay
The main claim in Hook’s essay is education as a form of manifestation of human freedom. This is the reason Hook writes the essays in simple language that can be comprehended by literates and semi-literates alike. In his opinion, one’s ability to access information or any form of ...Details
Poem Single Word Effect essay
There is no doubt that single word in the poem can have a great influence on the understanding of the essence of the poem. The readers consider some poems in the attempt to solve a riddle of the author’s message. Therefore, it is significant to identify a word that carries an important ...Details
Race Problems of the U.S.A. in Literature essay
The U.S.A. is a country that rifes with nationalities. Race problem was always an acute one here, and is in issue. It is the centuries-old history of American society that can cast light on the racial controversy, and many literary works disclose the theme of racism. Mark Twain’s “The ...Details
Shakespeare's Hamlet Play essay
In Shakespeare’s Hamlet play, there are two female characters by the names Gertrude and Ophelia. In order to understand them in detail, it is important to bring into view both their weaknesses and strengths and the effects they have on them as well as others. Ophelia in the play presents how ...Details
Shakespeare's Play Hamlet essay
To begin with, Shakespeare’s play ‘hamlet’ revolves around death and revenge actions between the characters. However, the theme of death in the play is conspicuous compared to the rest. Moreover, Shakespeare has used several characters with diverse behaviors to bring out the ...Details
Short Stories essay
Short Stories are among the major pieces of work that have contributed greatly to literature throughout the ages. These stories have often been used in the past and are still used even in the present to pass a specific message to the readers on what is happening around them. However, as in any ...Details
The Comparison of Hamlet and Walter essay
Introduction Franco Zeffirelli uses characters’ strong emotions and flaws to highlight their strengths and weaknesses. As heroes of dramatic works, Hamlet and Walter play there very important roles. They are portrayed in similar or different ways, which the playwright uses to depict action ...Details
The Gentle Lena essay
“The Gentle Lena” is a part of the trilogy written by famous American writer Gertrude Stein, who “was a major innovator, one of the leading figures in American literary modernism”. The short story deals with the description of Lena’s life – the German girl, who ...Details
The Legend of 1900 essay
The novel The Legend of 1900 was written by Alessandro Baricco and later featured in a film directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. The novel is a story of a man born in the first class of a huge oceanic liner and abandoned there by his immigrant parents. His name was Danny Boodman T.D. Lemons 1900 ...Details
The Poem If We Must Die essay
If We Must Die Analysis Essay Example Different people express their thoughts and feelings in different ways. A lover might a flower to another lover, friends, and families may exchange gift items at Christmas. Kisses, handshakes, and hugs are given in different forms to express either love, ...Details
The Success of Priam's Embassy essay
Homer is the author to imitate. He is the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, two magnificent samples of archaic literature. These compositions stand in the list of great literary works of Ancient Greek society. As for The Iliad, there are many controversial issues to consider, just like in The ...Details
The Taming of the Shrew essay
The William Shakespeare’s talent has been impressing the readers for many years and its unbelievable significance provoked appearance of a lot of Shakespeare’s theories. Beginning with statements that there has never been a person with this name, and to the theories that Shakespeare ...Details
Troll Bridge by Neil Gaiman essay
From the first lines of the short story "Troll Bridge" by Neil Gaiman, we can freely claim that setting plays a pivotal role in the whole text. What is more, it helps to express emotions and feelings of main heroes much better and deeper. So, the beginning of the story starts with sad words nearly ...Details
Born on the 21st day of November 1694, Francois Marie Arouet better known as Voltaire grew up to be one amongst the greatest French writers because of his intelligence and style. From his ability to interest the society with his works, he became a favorite of the same. This did not go on well as ...Details