Writing a History Essay
Despite the fact that there are many history essay examples on the Internet, much remains unclear for students. It is not always evident from a history essay sample how to structure the paper and what to do before writing.
Therefore, we have prepared an outline that will help you understand how to write a history essay:
1. First, you need to understand what makes history paper examples the best method to assess students’ knowledge in history. It I just no other method can demonstrate the student in-depth understanding and comprehension of the topic(s). With the help of an essay assignment, professors can evaluate student knowledge of specific historical facts as well as his/ her ability to critically analyze the topic or provide some prognosis/ recommendations.
2. In history essays, there is hardly a definite right or wrong answer. As a rule, essay assignments evaluate your ability for critical analysis and argumentation. One of the main history essay tips is to demonstrate that you understand the issue under discussion and show that you can analyze it in a history essay example. With most tasks that are given for history essay examples, there can be hardly any precise answer given, so make sure you sound argumentative and persuasive when explaining your standpoint and providing ample evidence.
3. Carefully read the essay prompt and define what aspects you need to address according to the assignment given. If the task is long and comprises of sub-tasks, highlight the keywords and define what you need to pay attention to. This strategy will also help you structure the answers and make the essay sound coherent. Find some history essay examples and see what transitions the writers use between the body paragraphs and for discussion of different ideas.
There are also different types of essay sample questions for discussion:
- “Quote-n-discuss”: in this assignment you will need to identify the problem and respond to it by either agreeing or disagreeing with the statement;
- “Compare & contrast”: here you need to focus on differences and similarities between some aspects, facts, etc.
4. Do some preliminary reading. Gather some facts and evidence to support the argument you are in favor of. First, find two or three credible sources that contain sufficient information and can provide you with good understanding of the topic. Do not use encyclopedias, articles or summaries as your main source as they only provide a general coverage of the historical event/ occurrence/ issue, etc. Remember to make notes when conducting a research or a literature review. Find an example essay and see how you should properly introduce citations from the readings into your paper.
5. As soon as you have chosen what you will argue about, start devising a plan of your paper. Look through examples of college essays or history essay writing tips and see what parts they consist of. Decide on the number of the body paragraphs to be included.
6. If needed, do some additional research related to your supporting arguments or look through good examples of different types of essays. Remember to make notes to each book or journal that you consult.
7. Revise you argument: check on whether it is strong enough, whether it is persuasive, whether it is clear for the reader what you mean and what stance you have chosen.
8. Start writing your first draft: provide a proper introductory paragraph with enough background information for the reader to understand the essay topics. Move on with the development of body paragraphs. End the paper with a conclusion succinctly summarizing the main points. If you need some more essay writing examples, please see some college essay samples.
9. Revise the paper. Check on the coherence, transitions between paragraphs, clarity of thoughts, and logical layout of ideas.
10. Edit the paper. Here pay attention to grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Avoid wordy sentences: if you have them, make them simpler or break the lengthy ones into shorter. Check on whether you have repetitions as well.
11. Pay attention to your final thoughts regarding the paper. What is your overall impression of what you have written about?
Buy custom History essay
African Americans' History essay
After slaves release in Massachusetts they receive lower social status than whites. This is expressed by the fact that they were legally free but actually whites had more civil rights than blacks. African Americans have equal civil rights however they could not be on a jury. Their children could ...Details
American History essay
In the 1850’s a series of events occurred which polarized the nation and threatened to tear America apart. By this time America had acquired new territories from the just concluded Mexican war and the Louisiana Purchase (Kennedy & Bailey, 2010). The main point of contention was as to ...Details
Common Sense essay
One of the most influential figures in the American Revolution, Thomas Paine, was virtually a newcomer emigrant at the moment of writing his famous pamphlet Common Sense. However, it was his former residence in Great Britain that contributed to the development of Paine’s liberal and ...Details
Compare the Descriptions of the Indians essay
Compare the Descriptions of the Indians Given by Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca and Francisco Vasques de Coronado Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca and Francisco Vasques de Coronado are two great personalities credited for having taken part in the exploration of the American land from 1527 to 1537 and 1539 to ...Details
The Political Events of the 1960s essay
Conceptual and Performance Artists in the Context of the Political Events of the 1960s The 1960s were extremely unpredictable and uncertain times in the United States. It was the time full of fateful historical events, such as outcomes of Martin Luther King’s reform, a presidential term of ...Details
Lincoln's Speech essay
Issue of Public Education Public education has been always one of the most important subjects of political debates, but in the middle of XIX century in the USA, this topic was more important than ever. The Unites States based on the ideals of the Enlightenment philosophy believe in the ...Details
History of Luxury Hotels essay
Hotels and casinos in Las Vegas are the most developed ones in the entire tourism industry. This entertainment boosts tourism economic power as its main facilitator. Development of several luxury hotels and casinos makes it to be achieved. In historical perspective, Las Vegas expansion depended on ...Details
Nowadays, the period under President Andrew Jackson (commonly referred to as the Jacksonian era) is rated among the most significant periods in the history of the USA (Zinn, 2005). The system replaced was regarded as dictatorial system, where a few elite individuals enjoyed benefits from the ...Details
Churchill and the Soviet Union essay
Khrushchev's View on the US versus Churchill's Understanding of the Soviet Union Winston Churchill was the British Prime Minister in 1940-1945 and 1951-1955. He led the United Kingdom during the World War II and the onset of the Cold war. Churchill's ideologies differed from that of the Soviet ...Details
In the U.S. history, the term “Reconstruction” includes a historical period which followed the Civil War between the North and the South and the transformation of the South in the period since 1865-1866 to 1877 in time of the government and society restructuring in the former ...Details
Southern Secession essay
The Secession of the Southern States from the Union caused the bloodiest war in the USA. The Secession of the Southern States is the most doubtful issue in the history of the USA. It also had great influence on the nation. The Secession “was triggered by the decision of eleven states to ...Details
The Hong Kong Museum of History essay
Founded in 1975, The Hong Kong Museum of History is among the most fascinating sites visited in Hong Kong (Hong Kong Museum of History). In 1998, the museum changed its premise to a more modern one. The museum exhibits a number of points in history relevant to the people of China. The main purpose ...Details
The New York Slave Revolt essay
The existence of slavery led to the antagonism between slaves and their masters. Thus, this period in the American history was marked with the violence, which appeared in many slight rebellions that were easy to strangle due to the force advantage of white people over the slaves. Even though a lot ...Details
Components of the Civil Rights Movement essay
The Three Most Critical Components of the Civil Rights Movement The first critical component of the civil rights movement is the circular left; that is, the members of the left-wing that supported the separation of the church from the State and secularists. In my view, the secular left is an ...Details
William Byrd essay
In the 16th century humanistic world outlook, which is essential for the epoch of Renaissance, brought about the flourishing of the secular art in Great Britain. A lot of British composers, who were creating during that period, founded the school of British madrigalists. William Byrd (1543-1623) ...Details